[Ottawa-pm] Repackaging Perl modules (was Wanted: 5 Perl Programmers)

Michael P. Soulier msoulier at digitaltorque.ca
Thu Mar 3 05:25:14 PST 2011

On 28/02/11 Yanick Champoux said:

>     Could be worse. I had to hack a wee bit in Perl 4 last year. No,
> seriously, I did. I felt like Indiana Jones and the Codebase of Doom.

Yikes.

>     Anyway, regarding the pains of massive deployment, the path I took
> is following the precept of Sun Tzu "The only battle you're ensured to
> win is the battle you avoid".  Unless eldritch requirements force me to

It's different when you own the OS, sort of. Our infrastructure expects rpms
and any attempt to go around standard conventions is highly criticized. CentOS
is old enough in its tracking of packages that I'm constantly tempted to ship
my own interpreters but thus far I don't. We don't need ten apps all wasting
disk space shipping all their own base.

Mike
--Albert Einstein