[Ottawa-pm] Perl6 Module Writers resources

Allan Fields allan.fields at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 09:33:37 PST 2011

The activity of composing modules has been well document for Perl5.
However, as a recent effort of mine, I have attempted to bring a Perl6
module to the point where it can be made use of by the Public.

I thought it would be neat to have a beginners kit for those who want
to give an attempt to release something under Perl6.

Here is a list of resources which I found useful for Perl6 module authorship:
  1. Tools: PANDA and ufo - ufo is used to auto-generate makefiles for
the Perl6 project and Panda is used to search for and retrieve modules
for perl6 (similar to CPAN).
  2. Tutorial: http://ttjjss.wordpress.com/2010/08/09/so-you-want-to-write-a-perl-6-module/
- explains the directory layout for Perl6 modules.
  3. Perl6 Modules Directory: http://modules.perl6.org/
  4. GITHUB (projects): Example - https://github.com/ihrd/uri - Github
hosted projects are used almost (if not) exclusively for pm6 at this
time - git command line tool can be made use of.  This is in contrast
to CPAN for perl5, which may change as Perl6 becomes mature.
  5. Documentation: http://www.perl6.org/documentation/,
http://www.pdfgeni.com/book/Perl-6-pdf.html

Tests work well.  And in the process of writing tests, I discovered
there is no fork() in Rakudo, but you can always use run() and qx//,
IMHO this is something that will mature with newer releases, as pugs
had it and eventually all the socket conventions of Perl5 will be made
available.  It will be neat to document the client-server testing
strategy, any links are appreciated.

My evaluation platform has used:
   Rakudo Perl 6, version 2011.07 built on parrot 3.6.0 0
I may soon track the git releases if time permits.

Thanks,
    Allan Fields <allan.fields at gmail.com>