[Ottawa-pm] Dec social

Mark Mielke mark at mark.mielke.cc
Tue Dec 6 08:51:28 PST 2011

To risk the wrath and charges of blasphemy:

This is because at its base, Perl is a scripting languages designed for
systems and reporting tasks. It doesn't scale well to large projects for
true definitions of large that take into account "teams of 100+ people"
and "code base of 1 million lines or more".

Personally, I think Perl should stay in the background. It is successful
here, and it will live on for years or likely decades in this form.

If people happen to be able to write larger projects in it in a way that
they can support - great.

Personally, I am one of these Java people. Capabilities such as Eclipse,
Sonar, and Maven are just too great to ignore. Perl does not compare
(and shouldn't!) in my opinion.

Cheers,
mark

Mark Mielke<mark at mielke.cc>