[Ottawa-pm] Recommendations for where to buy a new machine?

Shawn H Corey shawnhcorey at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 08:45:15 PDT 2011

On 11-08-02 10:00 AM, Yanick Champoux wrote:
> On 08/01/11 13:04, Yanick Champoux wrote:
>> Anybody got a better option? :-)
>
> Thanks to everybody who replied. I'll sniff out all given leads. :-)
>
> Now, I'm intrigued. I've got 4 replies, and every one of these were sent
> to me directly and not cc to the mailing list. The funny part is that
> this seems to be a long-standing trend. Beside making me looking a
> little bit like Norman Bates, I'm really curious as why that is. Do
> peeps want to keep their presence on the mailing list a secret? Is there
> any reticence about having your name appearing on the archives? If you
> could, please, send me a private email to let me know what is preventing
> you from stepping into the circle of light. I promise to keep all
> answers a secret, and not take offense of anything. I'm just wondering,
> and it's driving me bonker. :-)

That's because they pressed "Reply" instead of "Reply All".  This type
of mailing list puts the OP address as the From and the list's address
as CC.  Unless they choose Reply All, the reply gets sent back to the
 From address, that means the OP, only.

I use Thunderbird, which when dealing with many lists (but, sadly, not
all of them :( ) replaces Reply All with Reply List.

As for your OP, I got a good deal last year at PC Cyber
<http://pccyber.com/>.  They had a low-end gaming machine (which means
it's high-end for anything else) on sale for ~$500.  4 core, 4G RAM,
500GB disk, but no OS.  I have had no problems with it.

--
Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
   Shawn

Confusion is the first step of understanding.

as it is about coding.

The secret to great software:  Fail early & often.

Eliminate software piracy:  use only FLOSS.

"Make something worthwhile."  -- Dear Hunter