[Ottawa-pm] [ottawa-pm] OSBootcamp on interpreted languages

Yanick Champoux yanick.champoux at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 18:43:59 PDT 2008

Hi Mike!

Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 12:54 PM, Yanick Champoux
> <yanick at babyl.dyndns.org> wrote:
>
>>        Just to say that this August the OSBootCamp mini-conference will be
>> on interpreted languages (http://www.osbootcamp.org/index.php?page=yow8).
>> I'll be the one presenting Perl, and Mike is going to present Python.
>>

> Personally I find 35 minutes a tad short for a proper language introduction.

    It's indeed quite short.  Personally, I think I'll aim to provide a
lightning fast bio of the language (when was Perl created, what's the
deal with Perl 5 and Perl 6, etc.), provide a few of the reasons why one
would want to use the language (CPAN, CPAN and, oh yes, CPAN), and throw
hooks on where to get more information (mailing lists, Perl Mongers,
YAPC, etc.).  My secret hope is that this first bone we'll throw to the
crowd will be just enough to make them want more, and then lead them to
eventual  real full-fledged, comprehensive introduction to the languages.

Joy,
`/anick