[Oslo.pm] Nordic Perl Workshop status report #5

Salve J Nilsen sjn at pvv.org
Tor 1. Jun 2006 11:02:19 PDT

[This message has been sent to all registered NPW users, plus a couple of
  relevant mailing lists and people. Please forward this message to
  interested parties you know of - thanks!]

Hello all!

It's been a while since the last status update on the Nordic Perl Workshop
preparations, so here are the latest news, in no particular order:

  * Less than two weeks left until the workshop!

  * The schedule is looking good. There may be minor adjustments to it in
    the next week or two, but it should already provide more than enough
    indication of what's going to happen:

      <http://www.perlworkshop.no/npw2006/schedule>

  * We've passed 110 registered attendees, with more than 60 people saying
    they'll definitely show up! If everyone manages to finalize the
    registration (pay us), then NPW'06 will be the biggest NPW ever. Yay!
    :-D

  * Everyone who registered and paid before the deadline have been
    automatically invited to the barbeque. Free food, great company, good
    entertainment and something to drink if you feel thirsty enough! :-)

  * It's not too late to register! We announced the deadline was may 31st,
    but there's still more room - if you want to come then please register
    ASAP.

      <http://www.perlworkshop.no/npw2006/register>

    If you travel to Oslo, please note that available hotel rooms may be
    difficult to find! Check out our hotels page for some pointers.

      <http://www.perlworkshop.no/npw2006/hotels.html>

    And if you register and pay before june 13th there MAY still be a
    chance you can come to the barbeque - it's first come first serve! (The
    reason for this is that the party venue only allows 200 guests - if
    you're not among these, we'll have to ask you to find an alternate food
    source. :-\ )

  * Dag Asheim (Linpro) will be having a full day introductory course to
    Perl! This is a special service to the Perl beginners and students - so
    if you know of someone who's like to learn the Perl basics in five
    hours (or you would like to yourself) then DON'T miss this chance! This
    course alone is worth several times the conference fee if you'd have it
    somewhere else. We're immesurably grateful for Linpro and Dag for
    offering this opportunity to the Perl community. :)

    The course will be held in Norwegian.

  * Schedule-wise we're looking good too! We'll have speakers from as far
    away as Taiwan and the US, covering all kinds of intersting topics.
    We're expecting most of the speakers to also attend NUUG's traditional
    barbeque with the rest of us and the local Free Software community, so
    if you want to meet them for a interesting chat, I'll bet the barbeque
    will be a great place for that!

  * We've got excellent support from sponsors. Immense thanks go to
    OnSite.no, met.no, Linpro.no and logicLAB.dk (there are even a few more
    that have offered support, and you might see more of them at the
    workshop.)

  * We're also getting great (and essential) support from USIT (the
    University IT department), the Institute for Informatics, and
    the Norwegian Meteorological Institute (met.no).  Thanks! :-D

  * The gang at USIT is working on supplying wireless network to all
    conference participants, and with luck we'll even be able to supply
    some power for recharging those laptop batteries. ;-)

  * If you'd like to coordinate travel teams to Oslo, have a look at the
    conference wiki sections "GettingThere" and "StayingThere" (there is
    already a travel team from Copengagen.)

      <http://wiki.perlworkshop.no/2006>

  * There is still room for more Lightning Talks! If you have a topic you'd
    like to have 5 minutes to talk about, then send us a quick description!

      <npw2006-program at perlworkshop.no>

  * If you have questions about the conference, feel free to check out the
    website, ask at the Oslo.pm discussion list

    or contact us at

      <npw2006-info at perlworkshop.no>

Hope to see you at the conference!

- Salve J. Nilsen
(on behalf of the NPW gang)

--
#!/usr/bin/perl
sub AUTOLOAD{$AUTOLOAD=~/.*::(\d+)/;seek(DATA,$1,0);print#  Salve Joshua Nilsen