[Omaha.pm] framework shell shock?

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Mon Mar 28 08:06:23 PDT 2011

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 12:34, Jay Hannah <jhannah at mutationgrid.com> wrote:

> I think I shell-shocked Ben when he wandered into the source code for one
> of my Catalyst apps.  "Where is the actual Perl program that runs?"
>
> Frameworks can be pretty intimidating at a glance...   :/   Don't know if
> he's seen anything other than CGI.pm before.
>
> Jay Hannah

Jay,

You seem to be pretty excited about Catalyst, so based on your enthusiasm I
started poking around with the tutorials a while back.

Unfortunately, I'm still old-school CGI with external processes, and an OO
newb, so I couldn't really wrap my head around the tutorials that the
Catalyst team put together (
http://search.cpan.org/~zarquon/Catalyst-Manual-5.8005/lib/Catalyst/Manual/Tutorial.pod
).

The tutorial jumps right in and seems to tie everything to a database.
 While that's great, I want a very basic "Hello World" example to get
started...

Last Friday I stumbled across this series of blog posting:
  http://sedition.com/a/2733 - 10 Catalyst models in 10 days

He bypasses the DB features early on and shows how to just build a simple
web page.   Yes, there are OO features in there, but he gives the full perl
code examples so I can see what's suppose to be going on.

For anyone wanting to look into Catalyst but were completely confused by the
default tutorials, this may be helpful.

Dan
--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"