[Omaha.pm] Suggested XML modules... (2011)

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Tue Jun 7 09:45:25 PDT 2011

 Back in November 2008, I asked the mailing list:
> From searching our e-mail archive, it seems like the two mentioned XML modules
are "XML::Simple" and "XML::Twig".
> Are there any other XML handling modules that people are using (or have
used)?
> Any thoughts into the pros/cons about the module you're using (or the ones
you passed up)?

 One of the first suggestions from that thread (from Andy Lester) was to
refer to the Perl Wiki:
    http://www.perlfoundation.org/perl5/index.cgi?recommended_xml_modules

The recent thread on XML suggested XPath (which I am starting to use).

It's either a testament to the stability and maturity of Perl and XML, but
the recommended XML modules page hasn't been updated since March 2008.  That
may not be a problem since most of the recommended modules haven't been
updated much since then (XML-Simple @ Aug 2007, XML-Rules @ July 2010, and
XML-LibXML @ Oct 2008).  XML-Twig is the only standout begin updated Feb
2011.

Is there a more current page or discussion about Perl XML modules?  I'm not
opposed to using XPath (though the Perl Wiki warns against it because it
appears to be no longer maintained), but if I come across a show-stopping
bug, I don't want to invest a lot of coding time if the module doesn't have
an active or responsive development record.

Dan

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"