[Omaha.pm] Persistent data store for a prototype

Dave Burchell evaddnomaid at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 15:02:09 PDT 2010

Great suggestions, thanks Jay.  However, I'm looking for something with
local storage so I can code/test/demo the app while I'm away from the net
(e.g., on a plane or at my mom's house).  Maybe something like gdbm is a
good option?  But there are a bunch of Berkley DB-derived libraries; how do
I choose?

(I was hoping someone knew of a slick module that would let me abstract away
the storage mechanism and switch from local to net-based storage
arbitrarily.)

- djb

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 4:52 PM, Jay Hannah <jhannah at mutationgrid.com>wrote:

> On Oct 29, 2010, at 2:44 PM, Dave Burchell wrote:
> > I'm working on a prototype web app. I plan to use Amazon S3 and/or
> SimpleDB in production.  What's a good choice for the prototype?
>
> I've played around with Amazon EC2 Linux nodes, but I haven't used their
> storage engines.
>
> For development, Micro EC2 Linux nodes are basically free ($0.02/hour),
> especially if you shut them down overnight (whenever you're not coding). Or,
> perhaps you prefer literally free:   http://aws.amazon.com/free/
>
> I'd launch an EC2 instance (Debian Linux), stick Catalyst and Template
> Toolkit on top of that, and go to town. Searching CPAN for "amazon s3" and
> "amazon simpledb" seems to show various options.
>
> Did that help?
>
> Jay Hannah
> Software Architect
> jhannah at mutationgrid.com | http://mutationgrid.com | 1-402-598-7782