[Omaha.pm] Persistent data store for a prototype

Jay Hannah jhannah at mutationgrid.com
Fri Oct 29 14:52:42 PDT 2010

On Oct 29, 2010, at 2:44 PM, Dave Burchell wrote:
> I'm working on a prototype web app. I plan to use Amazon S3 and/or SimpleDB in production.  What's a good choice for the prototype?

I've played around with Amazon EC2 Linux nodes, but I haven't used their storage engines.

For development, Micro EC2 Linux nodes are basically free ($0.02/hour), especially if you shut them down overnight (whenever you're not coding). Or, perhaps you prefer literally free:   http://aws.amazon.com/free/

I'd launch an EC2 instance (Debian Linux), stick Catalyst and Template Toolkit on top of that, and go to town. Searching CPAN for "amazon s3" and "amazon simpledb" seems to show various options.

Did that help?

Jay Hannah
Software Architect
jhannah at mutationgrid.com | http://mutationgrid.com | 1-402-598-7782