[Omaha.pm] Perl question

Andy Lester andy at petdance.com
Thu Mar 18 23:15:09 PDT 2010

On Mar 19, 2010, at 1:12 AM, Wendy Moroz wrote:

> Hi - this is my first time asking a question, so I am not sure if I'm doing this right.
>
> I am a new Perl user - this is my very first attempt at trying to run a Perl command.  It is for my class, and I really need some help.
>
> I have the file chmod'ed so I am able to execute commands.  I also have the shebang, strict, and warnings lines entered and everything is typed correctly.
>
> I tried the "Hello World" line by entering this:   print "hello world. \n"
>
> When I key that in, nothing happens.  This seems like an incredibly easy command, yet for the life of me I can't figure out what am I doing wrong??  When you ask Perl to output (print) something, how/where is it supposed to show up?

You have it keyed in where?  Do you have all this saved in a file?  What's the file called?

You want to save all this in a file called, for example, "hello.pl".  Then, you run it by running "perl hello.pl".  What OS are you on?

xoa

--
Andy Lester => andy at petdance.com => www.theworkinggeek.com => AIM:petdance