[Omaha.pm] [OT] Parsing XML with command line XSLT xsltproc...

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Tue Feb 2 15:01:06 PST 2010

2010/2/1 Sterling Hanenkamp <sterling at hanenkamp.com>:
> I hope you'll forgive me, but I'm going to be annoying and not answer your
> question in the way that you asked. I dislike XSLT, so I'd use:
> XML::RSS
> XML::Twig
> Or something else on CPAN

Completely understood - my only reason for using it is because
"bashpodder" used it in it's main script and I had a small bit of
sample XSL code to look at. :-)

I'm always up for trying to solve a problem with a new tool, and in
this case you're probably right that Perl and/or a CPAN module might
be the best solution.  I'll look into these.

> I used to do XSLT, particularly when I was mostly stuck working with Java.
> Then, (after cutting off my Java) I realized that if I wanted a
> Turing-complete template language, I already have Perl. Performance is about
> the same, Perl has more features, and I don't have to use XML to write code.

This is actually my first foray into XSLT.  Any XML I've ever
generated or parsed were from my own home-grown Perl scripts that
didn't use any CPAN modules...  (Thankfully I could control the format
of the data I was reading so nesting and other text formatting didn't
affect these tests..)

Thanks,

Dan
--