[Omaha.pm] Mapping Perl structures to a SQL table...

Todd Christopher Hamilton netarttodd at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 15:24:04 PDT 2009

Here are some thought:

I have found that when designing a database one needs to be at peace
with the flexibility / performance balance.  (Come to think of it isn't
that why we use Perl?  You can write faster code with C but you can
write code faster with Perl)

If you want high flexibility you might use a Entity-Attribute-Value
model.  But eventually you come to the point where performance
requirements force you to think in more ridged terms.  You will then
apply performance based design principles within the context of the
information domain.

Since you are converting a file system database to a DBMS structure, you
already have some structure you can exploit. Files, Directories (which
are files), file attributes (fixed number of attributes and values).
The real flexibility comes when you need to store the contents of the
file. But then again how much performance do you need/  Your performance
comes in when you are trying find and map the structure. Once you find
the file base on the attributes you then will display it.

I would start with three tables:
1. Files
2. FileAttributes
2. FileContent

Files would have the following columns
   1. Id
   2. ParentId ( the id of the directory this file is in )
   3. Name
   4...  All your permission attributes like user read permissions,
group   permission
   5... All you file attributes like creation date time, mod date time, size

Then you second table would contain non indexed attributes of the file
or directory. Category, Subject, Author, status

Then your third table would be the actual file contents.

You would then use the DBMS to provide performance structure (indexes,
constraints, aggregation, transactions, journaling)