[Omaha.pm] Catalyst

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Wed Oct 21 13:32:09 PDT 2009

On Oct 21, 2009, at 2:00 PM, Sterling Hanenkamp wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 1:39 PM, Todd Christopher Hamilton <netarttodd at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>> 3. Do you use any javascript stuff as well?  I use Dojo and
>> wondering if  they can have a complimentary relationship.
>
> I tend to prefer jQuery and friends, but Dojo should work fine.
> Integration of your templates with your JavaScript library is mostly
> up to you, but is pretty simple to manage. There are some tools for
> sending back JSON or XML. I've not used it, but I'd look at
> Miyagawa's Catalyst::View::JSON. I have used Doran's
> Catalyst::Action::REST module, which takes some setup, but works
> well if you want a more flexible REST API and supports JSON, XML,
> and other formats.

Sterling: Very cool! Would you be willing to present something RESTy
at an upcoming meeting? I'd love to see it!  :)

    http://jays.net/wiki/odlug

Todd: The lastest batch of Catalyst AJAX I did didn't use any Catalyst
magic at all. As Sterling pointed out, there are dozens of plugins
where Catalyst becomes aware of all sorts of things.   :)

    http://search.cpan.org/search/?query=catalyst%3A%3Aplugin&mode=all

My thing uses jQuery Tooltip

    http://jquery.bassistance.de/tooltip/demo/

and Catalyst just blindly spews out HTML/JS/XML to make jQuery
happy.   :)