[Omaha.pm] New Coordinator

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Wed Jun 10 06:40:59 PDT 2009

On Jun 9, 2009, at 9:38 PM, Samuel Tesla wrote:
> Like I said at the meeting tonight, I'm moving to San Francisco. I
> won't be leaving until after the July meeting (although, it will
> likely be that same week). I've also already got a speaker (me) and a
> sponsor (Seraph) lined up for the meeting. I'm talking with our
> contact at UNO to try and get us a room that doesn't have a class in
> it     during our meeting.
>
> I don't have anything lined up after July.
>
> If you'd like to step up and save Jay from becoming coordinator, just
> let the list here know. Otherwise, Jay, I expect great things from
> you.

Hi everybody,

A round of grateful applause for Blaine and Sam?  -pause-

They will be sorely missed.  -sigh-

So, here are some of my thoughts. PLEASE share yours!

- I'm a Mediawiki addict. As such, I'd love to see everyone
contributing to a single web presence everyone can edit. An
interlinking of all of these resources:

   http://jays.net/wiki/ODynUG
   http://odynug.kicks-ass.org/
   http://jays.net/wiki/Omaha_Perl_Mongers

If you hate Mediawiki, or wikis in general, or if my canine wiki
overlords are ugly, please say so. I've lived on the Internet for a
long time so I have a very thick skin and want your opinion.

- I love Matt's weekly hackathon idea. I'm very much looking forward
to a hacker space coming online. I've got open source in github and SVN:

    http://github.com/jhannah
    http://clab.ist.unomaha.edu/CLAB/index.php/SVN

Where's YOUR code? Let's gather a list! Let's pair program some stuff!

- I enjoy coding, or staring at code on a projector. Problem solving
trips my trigger. Less talk, more code.

Yesterday I went from idea to chatting up the author in IRC to
forking and becoming co-maintainer of MooseX::Workers. Open source
collaboration is fantastic! Let's do it!  :)

- I'm a lightning talk junkie. What have you been doing lately? Will
you talk for 5 minutes (or more) about it?

    http://jays.net/wiki/ODynUG#Volunteers
    http://jays.net/wiki/ODynUG#Lightning_Talks
    http://www.justanotherperlhacker.org/lightning/index.shtml

I'm not a top-down hierarchy guy. I enjoy vibrant, participatory action.

So, as a wise Blaine Buxton once asked me:

*** What are YOU passionate about? ***

Let's focus our group on that.   :)    Unless you don't want to.   :)

just another perl hacker