[Omaha.pm] Alltell / Windstream and a new DSL modem...

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Thu Jan 29 08:41:44 PST 2009

My parents are needing a new DSL modem for their AllTell (now Windstream?)
Internet connection (Rural subdivision between Plattsmouth and Bellevue).

Their eyes glazed over when I asked them if it used PPPoE and other tech
questions....  (But then my knowledge of DSL isn't that deep either.)

Does anyone have any recommendations for a DSL modem that will work with
AllTell/Windstream?

Or are there any that I should stay away from?

And aside from PPPoE, are there any other technical issues that I should be
aware of when replacing a DSL modem?  They'll be using a small Netgear home
firewall so we'll be putting the modem into "pass-through mode" -- that's
the correct term, right?

Thanks,

Dan

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (Who can watch the watchmen?) -- from the
Satires of Juvenal