[Omaha.pm] Differences to expect when using flock() on different OS and Filesystems.

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Tue Apr 21 19:56:07 PDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 15:13, James Harr <jharr at ist.unomaha.edu> wrote:
> It wouldn't be the first time perl didn't (or couldn't) hide a scary OS
behavior from the programmer. > If you can't find anything on the subject,
just write a test program to hammer flock() for a while and > see if it
grants two mutual locks on the same file.

Yup, that's my plan.  When I get the green light after some other projects
come up I might send my test script out to the list and let others test it
on their systems.  (Thankfully for me, I just have to test a handfull of
UNIX variants...multiplied times the common filesystems...ouch!)

> Win32:: might also have something that'd work > for you and behaves better
on that platform.

Yeah, my worst fear is that someone will say "Sure, this app will run on
Windows ME with FAT-32 drives!" and expect me to support it... :-O  :-D

Dan

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (Who can watch the watchmen?) -- from the
Satires of Juvenal
"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac Asimov (Author)