[Omaha.pm] Perl, fork, and waitpid()

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Mon Apr 20 17:42:12 PDT 2009

On Apr 19, 2009, at 5:42 PM, Dan Linder wrote:
> I've tried using "waitpid(-1,WNOHANG)" thinking that would return
> the PID of the last child to die, or "-1" if none had died since
> last checking, but that seems to just hang _waiting_ for the next
> death to happen...   I did a "waitpid($pid_of_a_child, 0)" but tha
> just waits until that specific child dies.
>
> Anyone have any example code that can do this?

We use POE for things like this. Specifically, this cookbook recipe:

http://poe.perl.org/?POE_Cookbook/Child_Processes_3

There's a pretty active IRC channel that can help if you get stuck
(irc.perl.org #poe). I'm sure there's mailing lists too.

I got somebody started from scratch last week and he seemed to take
to it pretty quickly.

HTH,

POE::Wheel::Run for the win!  :)