[Omaha.pm] Iterators

Andy Lester andy at petdance.com
Mon Nov 24 14:06:34 PST 2008

On Nov 24, 2008, at 3:20 PM, <jay at jays.net> wrote:

> Survey: Am I the only one who's coded Perl for 15 years now and
> never knew
> about iterators?
>
> http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2005/06/16/iterators.html

File::Next makes great use of iterators, if I do say so myself.

            use File::Next;

            my $iter = File::Next::files( '/tmp' );

            while ( defined ( my $file = $iter−>() ) ) {
                print $file, "\n";
            }

You don't care what goes on behind the scenes.  Also means you can
have multiple iterators:

     my $iter_tmp = File::Next::files( '/tmp' );
     my $iter_usr = File::Next::files( '/usr' );

and they can work by themselves without disturbing the other one.

xoxo,
Andy

--
Andy Lester => andy at petdance.com => www.petdance.com => AIM:petdance