[Omaha.pm] Fishing for GUI ideas...

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Sun Nov 23 06:25:29 PST 2008

http://clab.ist.unomaha.edu/~jhannah/RT386/demo.html

On Nov 22, 2008, at 10:22 AM, Dan Linder wrote:
> You might look into AJAX a bit.  I would think that you could set
> it up to get more data for the left or right side when a certain
> point was reached.  Much like Google Maps does -- except yours
> would only send strings of text, not image blocks.

Ya. I've spent a lot of time staring at Google Maps style AJAX scrolls.

In everything I've seen so far the idea works fine for pre-generated
static images. This output is not static though -- the display
expands and contracts when you click things. I've never seen an AJAX
scroll that works on dynamic content.

So you're right, if I re-invented the Google Maps wheel to use text
(err... HTML?) instead of images then maybe somehow that could work.

But then I think my current Javascript <div> expand/contract trick
would be insufficient to cope with the complex scenarios that could
unfold as you scroll and show/hide things...

So I think I need something other than HTML <div> expand/contract
tricks. So I need what... Java? Some sort of text grid thing that I
have no idea how to get started writing?