[Omaha.pm] Pulling data from a crappy MS-SQL server somewhere in Mexico...

Todd Christopher Hamilton netarttodd at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 17:55:13 PDT 2008

Jay,

I am trying to do something very similar.  Would you be interesdted in
helping me.  I could possibly pay you for your time (i.e beer, gift cert.
donation to fav charity, cash).  I have a sql2000 database I would like to
access via perl DBD::ODBC (or DBD::Sybase I suppose).  I installed Freetds
and am able to access the database with the tsql command line client  But I
am having trouble with my perl app accessing it.  I am sure it is all the
wierd freetds.conf, odbc.ini stuff.  Let me know if you can help.  I could
provide you with ssh/vnc access to my box.

Todd 660-2787

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 4:16 PM, Jay Hannah <jay at jays.net> wrote:

> It's nice to know that with enough retries and error handling, you can,
> eventually pull data from a bad server over a terrible network
> connection...  :)
>
> Perl in Omaha <-> DBI <-> DBD::Sybase <-> freetds <-> MS-SQL in Mexico
>
> :)

>   my $sth = $dbh_pms->prepare($strsql);
>   for (1..50) {
>      if ($sth->execute) {
>         last;
>      } else {
>         $logger->warn("Database error detected (attempt # $_). Waiting
> 3 seconds, then retrying: $DBI::errstr");
>         $sth->finish;
>         $sth = $dbh_pms->prepare($strsql);
>         sleep 3;
>      }