[Omaha.pm] [off topic] Re: 5.10.0

Travis McArthur travis at travisbsd.org
Thu Jan 17 06:30:53 PST 2008

Dan Linder wrote:
> On Jan 17, 2008 7:33 AM, Jay Hannah <jay at jays.net
> <mailto:jay at jays.net>> wrote:
>
>     I haven't played with it yet. I'm looking forward to using // and
>     //=   :)
>

> I wonder if similar comments were ever made about other programming
> languages with as much true desire?
>
> "Wow, I can't wait to get to use /* and */ to make actual comment
> blocks!" (C)
> "Gosh, I love line numbers!" (Basic)
> "Why would I need more than two or three arguments to a command?"
> (Assembly programmer)
> "You mean blocks of code DON'T have to be in perfect columns?"
> (Fortran programmer)
>
> Dan
>
> --
> "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (Who can watch the watchmen?) -- from
> the Satires of Juvenal
> "I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac Asimov
> (Author)
Don't forget "Gee, I sure do love significant whitespace!" (Python).
*shivers* never could get over that...

I think the switch statement in the core is a nice development, and the
named regular-expression identifiers is pretty nice too, I have some
programs I use in which that will come quite in handy (mostly text
processing stuff naturally, screen scrapers).

Best Regards,
Travis