[Omaha.pm] Installing into /home/jhannah/lib

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Fri Feb 1 10:19:57 PST 2008

Quite a while back I had to use a more recent version of Perl than what was
on the system.   I downloaded the pre-compiled binaries, and extracted them
to my user home directory (~/bin, ~/lib, ~/usr, ~/opt, etc).  There were
also a number of user environment variables I had to set or adjust (LIB,
PATH, etc).  Everything I did was through trial-and-error, but in the end it
worked (for me anyway).

Is there an official document covering that or Jays special user-only
configuration?

Dan

On Jan 31, 2008 10:21 PM, Jay Hannah <jay at jays.net> wrote:

> Wow. That was easy.
>
> Something went terribly wrong with Date::Calc on a server I don't
> have root on.
>
> So I installed Date::Calc in my personal lib directory...
>
> $ perl -MCPAN -e install
>
> cpan> o conf makepl_arg "LIB=~/lib INSTALLMAN1DIR=~/man/man1
> INSTALLMAN3DIR=~/man/man3"
>
> cpan> o conf commit
>
> cpan> install Date::Calc
>
> $ export PERL5LIB=/home/jhannah/lib
>
> poof! My own personal Date::Calc works great. I'm surprised I've
> never been forced to do that before, and am equally surprised at how
> easy it was. :)

> http://www.wellho.net/forum/Perl-Programming/CPAN-Module-without-
> root.html

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (Who can watch the watchmen?) -- from the
Satires of Juvenal
"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac Asimov (Author)