[Omaha.pm] uuencode - C, Pascal, or Perl?

Larson, Timothy E. TELarson at west.com
Thu Sep 13 12:53:21 PDT 2007

Jay Hannah wrote:
> -laugh-
>
> The GNU sharutils bundle has uuencode in it. uuencode is a handy tool
> for emailing binary files to someone from the command line. It used to
> be standard on *nix, but not so much any more.
>
> Anyway, I think it's funny that the bundle lets you choose between 3
> implementations:
>
>     313 lines of C
>     202 lines of Pascal
>     10 (actually 5) lines of Perl

Heh heh.  The C/Pascal versions must be implementing the uuencoding
themselves, whereas Perl already has it built in.  Very handy.

I remember the days of uuencode, but can't say I've ever needed to do it
myself.  If I wanted to transfer a binary, I used ftp.

Tim
--
Tim Larson
InterCall, a subsidiary of West Corporation