[Omaha.pm] Perl, Python, Ruby or PHP ...

Thompson, Kenn KThompson at heiskell.com
Sat Mar 3 07:32:00 PST 2007

> Here's food for thought... Given it's an "Internet" programming
> course, with no previous experience needed (meaning it would be
> unlikely that the student would know/understand concepts such as OO,
> typecasting/etc), wouldn't it be better to start the series with a
> crash course in JavaScript, then follow up with a strong language like
> Perl?

-I've only ever talked to one person that enjoys programming JavaScript.
-The general sentiment (even among Java programmers) I've heard is
-dislike to hatred of JavaScript. I've often heard it has no relation to
-Java and "not a real language"...?

I would have to agree that it's not exactly pleasant to code in, but given
the venue it's probably one of the few languages that is used for web based
apps that's mostly available in all browsers. I'd even go so far as to say
that if you're writing for the web it should be a requirement to not only to
be somewhat proficient in Javascript but also in the most popular browser
DOMs.

Javascript does have most of the programming constructs available
(IF-THEN-ELSE, CASE, etc), and can be used on most platforms for learning
purposes, even without a server component. I wouldn't use it for production
level code unless absolutely necessary, but even big business is still tied
to it because of the browser. Also, as long as AJAX-like/Web 2.0 is in play,
it'd be tough to not be exposed at some point.

< side note... I kind of like Javascript, but I'm a masochist ;) >