[Omaha.pm] Perl, Python, Ruby or PHP ...

Thompson, Kenn KThompson at heiskell.com
Wed Feb 28 12:27:49 PST 2007

On 2/28/07, Dave Thacker <dthacker9 at cox.net <mailto:dthacker9 at cox.net> >
wrote:

On Saturday 24 February 2007 14:08, Robert Fulkerson wrote:
[Thompson, Kenn] Snip
>      UNO would like to create a two-course sequence of web-related
> programming.  We currently have my course, which is taught in Perl and
> another course that covers similar content but doesn't require any
previous
> programming experience that is taught in Python.
[Thompson, Kenn] SNIP
>      So, fire away.  Why should we continue to teach Perl instead of
Python
> at UNO?  Other than the fact that it's the coolest language ever?  :)

[Thompson, Kenn]
Here's food for thought... Given it's an "Internet" programming course, with
no previous experience needed (meaning it would be unlikely that the student
would know/understand concepts such as OO, typecasting/etc), wouldn't it be
better to start the series with a crash course in JavaScript, then follow up
with a strong language like Perl?