[Omaha.pm] Perl, Python, Ruby or PHP ...

kiran bina kiranbina at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 13:18:32 PST 2007

I vote for Perl coz. I agree bob, it is the coolest language ever :-)
.However, most importantly it is useful for wide variety of things you do
later in your career (like the previous post).  Additional reason for
beginners like me is that fact that I get to find more people who can and
are willing to help. Unlike other languages you depend on limited few who
may or may not have time to spare.  Since I was interested in processing
biological data I chose to learn bioperl and your class definitely gave a
strong foundation. However, I would request you, if possible, to include the
section on database interaction.
Kiran

On 2/24/07, Jesse Andersen <gotosleep at gmail.com> wrote:

> I took your class in spring 2006 and shortly after that was hired on to my
> first programming job.  We do a ton of scripting where I work, and your
> class definitely gave me a huge advantage.  We do all our scripting in
> either korn shell, perl, or tcl, I of course chose perl whenever I can :)  I
> can honestly say that the perl I learned in your class was one of the most
> useful things I've ever learned at UNO.  I don't think Python would have
> been nearly as useful for me. From my limited experience, it seems like most
> of the big companies use perl for most of their scripting needs.  Perl is
> the most practical (and the best) choice, in my opinion.
>
> On 2/24/07, Robert Fulkerson <robert.fulkerson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Greetings All!
> >
> >      UNO would like to create a two-course sequence of web-related
> > programming.  We currently have my course, which is taught in Perl and
> > another course that covers similar content but doesn't require any previous
> > programming experience that is taught in Python.  Essentially, we're going
> > use the current Python course as the intro course and then my course as the
> > advanced course.  We're going to standardize on one language, however, and
> > Perl, Ruby and Python (and heck, even PHP) are all candidates.  The two
> > languages at the top of the heap are Perl and Python, since work has already
> > been done in both languages, thus reducing the amount of work to create the
> > two-course sequence.  I, of course, want the language to be Perl and have my
> > own set of reasons, but I thought I'd cast a wide net out to everyone for
> > ideas that I can bring to the table on Tuesday.
> >
> >      So, fire away.  Why should we continue to teach Perl instead of
> > Python at UNO?  Other than the fact that it's the coolest language ever?  :)
> >
> >      Thanks!
> >      -- b

Dhundy R. Bastola
Assistant Professor