[Omaha.pm] Perl, Python, Ruby or PHP ...

Robert Fulkerson robert.fulkerson at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 12:08:31 PST 2007

Greetings All!

     UNO would like to create a two-course sequence of web-related
programming.  We currently have my course, which is taught in Perl and
another course that covers similar content but doesn't require any previous
programming experience that is taught in Python.  Essentially, we're going
use the current Python course as the intro course and then my course as the
advanced course.  We're going to standardize on one language, however, and
Perl, Ruby and Python (and heck, even PHP) are all candidates.  The two
languages at the top of the heap are Perl and Python, since work has already
been done in both languages, thus reducing the amount of work to create the
two-course sequence.  I, of course, want the language to be Perl and have my
own set of reasons, but I thought I'd cast a wide net out to everyone for
ideas that I can bring to the table on Tuesday.

     So, fire away.  Why should we continue to teach Perl instead of Python
at UNO?  Other than the fact that it's the coolest language ever?  :)

     Thanks!
     -- b