[Omaha.pm] [olug] Bash TCP scripting

Christopher Cashell topher-pm at zyp.org
Mon Dec 31 09:33:43 PST 2007

On Dec 31, 2007 10:20 AM, Larson, Timothy E. <TELarson at west.com> wrote:
> 10 years ago I often heard the advice to use shell rather than Perl
> because plenty of machines were still deployed that did not have it
> installed.  That is becoming less true as time goes on and Perl becomes
> more of a standard tool.

10 years ago, I would say that was true.  I think your 'becomes'
should be 'became', though.  Some time ago, now. ;-)

I think if you wrote anything non-trivial in "standard" perl (no extra
modules that you aren't including with your code), it would probably
be more portable[0] across *nix machines than anything else you could
do.  I would follow this by saying the next most portable would be
POSIX compliant shell scripts, but I've been bitten enough times with
shell scripts and slight variations in tools and commands across
different unix flavors to know that it's a bit of a craps shoot.

 [0] 'portable' in this e-mail meaning capable of running out of the
box on a standard *nix install, with no extra tools, libraries,
interpreters, or anything else needing to be installed.  These days,
it's almost hard to find a Unix install without at least a basic Perl
install.

--
Christopher