[Omaha.pm] Net::SSH::Perl and sudo or su

Christopher Cashell topher-pm at zyp.org
Fri Dec 7 22:01:25 PST 2007

On Dec 7, 2007 9:02 AM, Tony Simons <webmaster at tvortex.net> wrote:
> It's possible, and a group and user are in the works.  However the goal
> was to have it in a commonplace (/etc)
> As I was reading your message I was thinking of the "New user/Group"
> directory.  We have automounted home directories which would make the
> file in the user's home directory a problem since it would be
> continuously overwritten by the script.

I think you misunderstand my suggestion.  You should be able to have a
file in /etc/ that can be written by normal users, without using sudo.

An example of setting it up:
touch /etc/foo
addgroup foowriters
adduser USER foowriters
chown root.foowriters /etc/foo
chmod 644 /etc/foo

At this point, you have a file, /etc/foo, which can be directly
written to or edited by anyone in the foowriters group.  Without using
sudo or su.  No new users needed, and it can still be restricted to
only allow writes from the users you want.

Would this work?

--
Christopher