[Omaha.pm] [dynamic_omaha] Requirements Part 4 for August 7: Groovy Coding: Car Wash

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Wed Aug 8 04:49:40 PDT 2007

Here's a Perl mock-up I wrote after the meeting. The original
challenge is below.

It's kinda fun to hold down the insert money key and watch your
balance fly up and then hold down a purchase key and spend your
loot.  :)

------------------------------
#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
use Term::InKey;
use FileHandle;
STDOUT->autoflush();

# Slap your products in here (up to 9 of them)...
my $tmp = <<EOT;
Simple       5    Wash
Clean        6    Wash,Soak
Stupendous   7    Wash,Soak,Wax
EOT

# Thanks, simple human. Now Perl will do the dirty work,
# building the structures we'll need to get the job done.
my ($products, @products, $product_choices);
foreach my $line (split /\n/, $tmp) {
    my ($product, $cost, $actions) = split / +/, $line;
    push @products, $product;
    my $cnt = @products;
    $products->[ $cnt ] = {
       cost    => $cost,
       actions => $actions
    };
    $product_choices .= "  [$cnt] Buy $product (\$$cost)\n";
}

my $balance = 0;
my $message;
while (1) {
    &Clear;
    choices();
    print "> ";
    for (my $x = &ReadKey) {
       /i/  && do { dollar_inserted() };
       /q/  && do { exit };
       /\d/ && do { purchase($x) };
       next;
    }
}

# END MAIN

sub dollar_inserted {
    $balance++;
    $message = "Cha-ching!";
}

sub purchase {
    my ($product) = @_;
    my $amount = $products->[$product]->{cost};
    my $actions = $products->[$product]->{actions};
    return unless $amount;
    if ($balance < $amount) {
       $message = "Please insert more money first.";
       return;
    }
    $balance -= $amount;
    $message = "You just bought $actions for $amount dollars.";
}

sub choices {
    print <<EOT;

$message