[Omaha.pm] JavaScript::XRay

Jeff Bisbee jbisbee at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 00:06:09 PDT 2006

I've just released a new module to the CPAN today.  (FYI, this is the code
I was talking about at the last Duck meeting - aka South Florida Perl
Mongers Social Meeting)

    JavaScript::XRay - See What JavaScript is Doing
    http://search.cpan.org/~jbisbee/JavaScript-XRay/

Basically, it's and  HTML sourcce filter and the idea is that you plug it into
your application server to give you a much needed edge when developing,
debugging, and/or refactoring javascript code.

Here is a quick no frills static example...

    Before:  http://www.jbisbee.com/test.html
    After:  http://www.jbisbee.com/test-xrayed.html

I'd like to ask for assistance from you guys in putting the finishing touches
on the module. (You guys meaning SouthFlorida.pm, Omaha.pm, and perl folks
that I know are into coding javascript).

The call for help includes:

* Using the module.  Plug the module into your application framework and
  give it a spin.  I'd appriciate any feedback (good, bad, etc) to help make
  it more useful.

* Finding and fixing bugs.  The code is far from bug free so let's see if we
   can find and discuess issues or short comings.  Also feel free to question
   the interface or suggest improvements to make the code more elegant
   or robust.

* Cleaning up the pod.  If something doesn't sound right or you don't
   get it, let's rewrite it so it makes sense.  Also fix any grammar
or spelling
   errors, etc.  We can us AnnoCPAN to facilitate this.  If you haven't seen
   or used AnnoCPAN yet, give i.
   http://annocpan.org/dist/JavaScript-XRay

* Adding functionality.  I need to finalize how the inlining of external
   js files in going to work.  A generic solution would just use LWP,
   but if the script is used from the command line, it may be a relative
   directory issue.  It also could be that the user could specify a list
   of root directories to look for javascript files if their located on the
   same server as the one serving the page.

* Tests!  Tests are pretty much non existant right now.  It's on my
   to do list, but haven't gotten around to it yet.  (shame on me for
   not doing test first development).  Anyway, if you want to help
   out by writing tests, feel free (just let me know because I still
   plan working on them this week)

I use the logging console on a daily basis now and it has helped
me figure out, debug, and fix javascript code that I wouldn't have
a clue with before this tool.

We can use the southflorida-pm list for discussion now.  (the only
traffic it gets now is from me remind folks of when the next meeting
is)  Feel free to pass this message on to other people who might
be interested in using the module or helping out.

BTW, for those folks who I CC'd or get forwarded this message, if
you're not signed up to the southflorida-pm list but would like to
help, you can sign up to the southflorida-pm list here

Jeff Bisbee / jbisbee at gmail.com / jbisbee.com