[Omaha.pm] t-shirts on the omaha.pm.org web site and ... other assorted questions :)

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Sun Jul 2 10:37:06 PDT 2006

dirigo via RT wrote:
> As an aside here ... is your group still ordering the t-shirts I've
> seen on your web site?  They're pretty "kewl", as the kids say, and
> I've been thinking about trying to gen up some business along that
> line.  I do recall reading something about your printer would keep the
> artwork for up to two years after the last order.  Have you placed
> another one since the initial one to keep this two year window open?
>
> Having revisited omaha.pm.org I no longer see any references to
> t-shirts, soooooo ... I'm probably safe to assume ... the printer got
> rid of the artwork, right?

I've been thinking about firing up another t-shirt order for a few weeks. Sounds like the time is right. :)

>From out homepage if you click for the wiki, then click for "LocalPerlSwag" you'll find the t-shirt page:

   http://omaha.pm.org/shirts.shtml

At the bottom of that is the contact info for the company that did our last run. I haven't talked to them since May 2004 so I don't know if the screen is still on file or not. I'll try to call them tomorrow and see what the status is.

Once we get the printer pinned down you can organize the Atlanta.pm order and I'll do the Omaha.pm order, and we can broadcast to all the group leaders around the world (uhh... shipping overseas too expensive to be a good idea?) to see if anyone else wants to play.

(That page lists [OMA] (Omaha.pm) and [SFL] (SouthFlorida.pm) orders together. Jeff Bisbee PayPal'd me the total SouthFlorida $ amount, I paid the printing company on my personal credit card, they drop shipped our 2 batches separately.)

> Also, a few more questions here ... is the omaha.pm.org web site
> hosted on a pm.org machine or something else?   How has the kwiki wiki
> worked out for you folks?  Worth the effort?

omaha.pm.org is hosted on my personal server. I can't run a Perl group w/o being able to run perl, so I pulled it off the Perl NOC server. :)

Uh, I've used the wiki quite a bit. Other people have added their own bios, which is cool:

   http://omaha.pm.org/kwiki/index.cgi?MemberBios

But other than that no one has done anything with the wiki. In small part I assume the lack of use is because I've been forced to implement spam countermeasures:

   http://omaha.pm.org/kwiki/index.cgi?SpamCounterMeasures

Which make it less convenient for whoever to throw links onto the wiki. More likely though, no one else really cares about the wiki. :)  kwiki is pretty darn handy, just one more tool in my toolbox. In my opinion its worth the effort to put it in your toolbox too. I haven't been bothered by spammers again since I installed Kwiki::Scode AND Kiwki::SpamWhitelist.

Cheers,

Omaha.pm
Group leaders FAQ: http://groups.pm.org/faq.html