[Omaha.pm] Eclipse or other Perl IDE under Linux.

Mike Hostetler hostetlerm at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 07:03:02 PST 2006

On 2/16/06, Ryan Stille <rps at willcomminc.com> wrote:
> I use vi.  I hear you can even set it up for syntax highlighting.

Syntax coloring isn't everything.  I tend to like more than that.
Auto-structuring, smart-indenting, etc.

How about Emacs?  If you don't like the keystrokes, you can always use
it in vi mode.

Emacs has an alternative for "editor in one window, shell in another":
http://www.khngai.com/emacs/perl.php

To make this even a bigger flame war, I use Emacs all the time for
Python scripts.  Python has an interactive interpretor.  You can be
editing your script in on part of the Window, have the interpreter in
the other, and with a "C-cC-c", the contents of your script is ran in
the interpreter.  That way you can see any errors, poke around to make
sure that Python is doing what you want it to do, etc.  I would image
that the setup in the above link is close to that (though I've never
used the Perl debugger)
--
Mike Hostetler
http://mike.hostetlerhome.com/