[Omaha.pm] Business::AAPOS?

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Fri Feb 10 18:38:36 PST 2006

[3rd try. Posting to nntp.perl.org isn't working?]

Hola --

I'm automating one of American Airlines' new websites. It's called "AAPOS" and its used by companies (like the one I work for) who buy AA frequent flyer miles to give to their customers. I'm using WWW::Mechanize, mainly, and have gotten a couple handy features working.

I carefully kept all our proprietary junk out of this little ball of software, hoping I could contribute it to CPAN. I guessed that maybe Business::AAPOS would be a good namespace choice, but if its not I'd be happy to change it.

I've been coding Perl for years, but have never contributed to CPAN. I'd love any feedback anyone has about this namespace choice, my code, whether or not you guess others mind find this useful, whatever.

One downside (?) is that this code will shatter whenever they change or abandon their website. I'll be happy to keep the bundle updated since I'll have to for my day job anyway. :)  Also, AA is promising more native automation some day, but they certainly don't have it so far and it could be years before they get around to it, if ever. Also, whatever year AA completely abandones AAPOS this software will be useless to everyone. Is there a facility for removing it from CPAN in the event that it becomes 100% unusable?

It's not ready for PAUSE upload yet, but here's my code so far:
http://jays.net/tmp/Business-AAPOS.tgz

There's some POD in there. All feedback very welcome! Thoughts?

Thanks!

Omaha Perl Mongers

(I'd contribute frequent flyer check-digit algorythms for several airlines, too, but those algos all have NDAs attached to them. I notice that the credit card algo's are on CPAN even though the CC companies all require NDAs...?)