[Omaha.pm] Evolution or devolution?

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Thu Dec 28 14:27:05 PST 2006

On Dec 28, 2006, at 3:37 PM, Andy Lester wrote:
> The question of "is it faster" is almost always irrelevant.
> Processor time is orders of magnitude less expensive than programmer
> time.

I agree 99% of the time. In this case we're trying to squeeze
sub-second response out of massively complex systems under
ever-increasing loads. I just spent a week saving a few seconds of
processing time. But those few seconds will be saved 1/2 million times
a day, so in this case it has been worth my time. Our customers don't
want slow interfaces and we want to try to survive all future marketing
whimsy.  :)

You're right, profilers are very much our friend.  Devel::Timer is
handy too.

On Dec 28, 2006, at 4:17 PM, Andy Lester wrote:
> On Dec 28, 2006, at 4:15 PM, Jay Hannah wrote:
>>    my @common = reverse sort @rates;
>>    return $common[0];
>
> Really what you want here is $common[-1], rather than reversing to
> get the first.

Ya. I abandoned that version altogether.