[Omaha.pm] Lightning Talks at UNO: Tuesday, 12/5

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Tue Dec 5 17:43:41 PST 2006

My random thoughts about the presentations:

WWW::Mechanize
Reminds me of my secret FAA robot and my robot (unfinished) that plays
the web game Black Nova Traders for me. If anyone is interested in
those I can demo them :)   The Brittany Spears Wikipedia hack he demo'd
and 2 hacks after that have all been removed by Wikipedia editors. In
20 minutes. Wow.

Net::XMPP and Lingua::EN::Syllable
I wonder if we can patch that syllable counting bug?
    $ perl -MLingua::EN::Syllable -e 'print syllable("a")'
    2
The perldoc seems pretty non-commital about accuracy, claiming 10-15%
failure rate.  :)

College football BCS scraper
I saw an
    open (FILE, "+<file.txt")
in there. I wonder if the +< was intentional and/or important for him?

Great stuff!