[Omaha.pm] [pm_groups] Private vs. public

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Wed Aug 2 08:27:27 PDT 2006

JT Smith wrote:
> I think that public archives are the only way to go. I can't tell you how many great
> nuggets of information I've gleaned by searching the archives of public perl monger's
> lists. I suppose if your list is purely social I could see not publishing the archives,
> but if it contains technical discussions then you're stealing knowledge from the world
> by keeping them private.

Agreed. Preach it, brother!

(Perhaps "denying knowledge from the world", not "stealing from the world". -grin-)

> One other thing to note is that many people feel that the Perl world is dying. And I
> think that a large part of that is because they don't see enough discussion of Perl out
> there.

In 1999 I brought Perl to the company I still work for. I was told it was a dead language. Funny how
that FUD never changes.

In 2006 we're using Perl more than ever, continuing to discard proprietary language programs. It works for us. I just got back from OSCON in Portland. I'm pleased to report Perl looks healthier than ever to me. :)

> We need to be less private, not more.

"Amen" he said, posting to pm_groups which has no public archive (ironic, eh?); but also cross-posting to the Omaha Perl Mongers whose archive is public. :)

Omaha.pm
currently on another 2 night bender replacing old code w/ a far superior Perl replacement :)