[Omaha.pm] Geneology Database?

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Thu Apr 27 04:53:50 PDT 2006

Hi Clay! Nice to "meet" you. :)

Clay Crouch wrote:
> Well, I guess we are probably related somehow, if you
> managed to trace your tree up, over, and down to include
> me in it....
>
> See http://jays.net/genealogy/Html/I2551.html.
>
> I was messing around on Google looking for someone in
> particular and your site got returned among the results.
>
> I checked it out, surfing this way and that....
>
> First thing: You have my fater's name listed as "Donald".
>
> See http://jays.net/genealogy/Html/I2550.html.
>
> His name was "Daniel L. Crouch", 10/17/44 - 9/13/96.

Thanks for the update!

> Everything else I saw starting with my entry and working
> up, sideways, and back down seemed to be approximately
> correct for each generation. At least, until I got away
> from the people I know/knew personally.
>
> Second, I tried surfing up the tree in just about every
> direction available. Kept hitting dead ends trying to go
> up my tree to see where yours and my lines merged....
>
> How are we related if my line dead-ends upward?
>
> Can you pull an adjacency matrix or connection graph from
> your database that shows how our lines are linked?

Excellent! You've given me an excuse to finally play with some software Paul Johnson sent me back in January. Since in my dataset I am "I0313" and you are "I2551" lets see if this relation.pl program Paul sent me works...

$ ./relation.pl -gedcom_file jay.ged
Enter person to compute relation from: I0313
Enter 1 for a single relation, 2 for several, 3 for all: 2
Enter 0 for brief, 1 for English-language relationships: 0
Enter 0 to omit, 1 to output names of all intervening relatives: 0
Enter person to compute relation to: I2551
I0313 Jay Weston HANNAH is not related to I2551 Clay Daniel CROUCH

Ack! Hmm... Let's make sure this thing is working at all...

Enter person to compute relation to: I215
I0313 Jay Weston HANNAH ffffff I215 James C. HANNAH

Yes, the program is telling me that James C. HANNAH is my father's father's father's father's father's father ("ffffff")...

And it seems to track other obscure relations of mine correctly:

Enter person to compute relation to: I711
I0313 Jay Weston HANNAH wfffffmff I711 William C. THOMSON
Enter person to compute relation to: I94
I0313 Jay Weston HANNAH mffmf I94 George CHAPMAN
Enter person to compute relation to: I3531
I0313 Jay Weston HANNAH mmfffffffff I3531 William STARK
Enter person to compute relation to: I3186
I0313 Jay Weston HANNAH mmbzzwm I3186 JUNE
Enter person to compute relation to: I3495
I0313 Jay Weston HANNAH mmffffffm I3495 Sarah (tentative) LARKIN\LAYCOCK
Enter person to compute relation to: I2060
I0313 Jay Weston HANNAH ffmmmfmmmmffm I2060 Joan MARSH

Yet when I randomly choose some other people out of my dataset it reports no relation:

Enter person to compute relation to: I1891
I0313 Jay Weston HANNAH is not related to I1891 Jennifer L. BODHOLDT
Enter person to compute relation to: I0661
I0313 Jay Weston HANNAH is not related to I0661 Mary Elizabeth "Marie" KNIGHT

So I guess its working and we're not related (at least inside the confines of my dataset). (All 6 billion of us are related if you go back far enough, right? -grin-)

Since we're not related (that I know of) I'm guessing that your inclusion in my data was due to some errant mapping at some point that was later removed/pruned/corrected. I guess I'll remove your entire pocket of relatives unless you want me to leave you online for some reason. :)

> If it turns out that we are indeed related, would you be
> interested in talking with my mother? She is the one who
> took on the "unofficial" geneology work for her side of
> the family, with Foila Gosser (Joy) as kind of the center
> peg; the starting point.
>
> See http://jays.net/genealogy/Html/I2478.html.
>
> I don't know what information she has, as geneology has
> never really been one of my interests, so I never asked.
> But occasionally, she talks about it, and it seems like
> she has quite a bit. Like some of it back to the 1600's
> in Europe or some such....

Its up to you. Online genealogy is just one of my many hobbies I try to find time for every once in a while. :)

> Computer Geek, eh? Me too. UNIX Sysadmin for a large
> cell phone company. (HP-UX, Solaris, and Linux) :^)
>
> I look forward to reading your reply.
>
> --
> --Clay--
> root at universe> chown -R :us ./base
> root at universe>

I like your sig. :)   I'm mostly a Perl geek. I know enough Linux to earn a living and break it in creative ways. :)

All the best,