[Omaha.pm] Lightning Talks from UNO on Perl! :)

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Wed Nov 23 13:23:53 PST 2005

On Nov 23, 2005, at 1:32 PM, Robert wrote:
>> Perl Operator Overloading in Action: Class::Date
>> 1st minute: What is operator overloading?
>> 2nd minute: What is Class::Date?
>> 3rd-5th minutes: magic ensues
>
>    This sounds cool.  We didn't get a chance to talk about OO-Perl
> this semester, but one of the pre-requisites of the course is two
> semesters of C++, so it shouldn't be too frightening to them.

Does that mean I should plan on doing that talk on Dec 6? I'll bring my
own laptop slideshow (prob. HTML).

> What would _really_ be great, if not for a lightning talk this
> semester then maybe for something next semester, would be if some of
> the area's corporate Perl-heads could come convince my students that
> Perl is still an okay language to learn.  :)  They're all convinced
> that PHP, Python and Ruby are the only ways to go.  I admit, they're
> cool ways to go (my websites are all written in PHP), but the class is
> about Perl, dangit! :)

I'd be willing to attempt that whenever. I'm not opposed to other
languages, I just happen to like Perl. I can give a behind-the-scenes
demo of www.omnihotels.com if you like (Perl, Template Toolkit, Apache,
Linux).

If you're sharp languages are just syntax. If you know one really well
you'll be fine in the others.