[Omaha.pm] [pm_groups] Getting To Know You

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Thu Jul 14 19:38:57 PDT 2005

> On Wednesday 13 July 2005 3:37 am, Dave Cross wrote:
>> Perl Mongers groups are (or, at least, should be) one of the most
>> public
>> parts of the Perl community. I'm interested in hearing what you do to
>>
>>   * Encourage more people along to your meetings.
-snip!-

I'm threatening to make a little list of CS
professors/instructors/whatever around town (or at least department
heads) and send out a little "hey, we're here to help and we're a free
resource for students if they're interested" sort of intro email...

Maybe I should
- Print up little fliers teachers could hand out if they wanted?
- Offer to take the profs out to lunch to introduce myself?

I dunno, I just want to do whatever to help anyone who's looking for
some. I feel I owe the man who introduced me to Perl back in 1993 (I've
been making a living with it ever since) and the Perl community at
large, and want to help the next generation see what Perl can do.
There's lots of language choices out there -- seems to me Perl should
be in the list of options for young geeks getting started. If they see
it and its not for them, more power to them.

Wish me luck,

Omaha.pm