[Omaha.pm] RE: logger

Jay Hannah jhannah at omnihotels.com
Fri Jan 21 14:47:03 PST 2005

> Hmmm... I must've been doing it wrong then. I ended using Sys::syslog
> instead- Sean said you weren't encouraging Control::Logger anymore.

Well, I wrote Omni's Control::Logger from scratch and added all kinds of cool features to it. Then I went to a Perl Mongers meeting and Ron said "that sounds a lot like what I'm using: log4perl".

The mind boggles. At a glance it appears that log4perl does all the cool stuff I programmed, and probably more. The biggest bonus being that I wouldn't have had to write it myself.

   http://log4perl.sourceforge.net/

So it's not that I'm not anti- Control::Logger now, I'm just wondering whether or not I/we should port to the "industry standard" that I didn't even know existed until that fateful Perl Mongers meeting...

Ron, ex-Java guy, trumping my code I was all proud of... -sigh-

-grin-