[Omaha.pm] GD::Graph installation on G5 OS X 10.4

Philip Terry pterry2 at mac.com
Tue Dec 20 20:38:55 PST 2005

Hello,

I would like to install the GD::Graph Perl module on a G5 OS X 10.4 machine to practice building some graphs.  This will be my first installation of a module requiring all these libraries ahead of the actual CPAN modules on OS X.

Reference: S. Wallace Oreilly book, Perl Graphics Programming (p-26), suggests an order of installation: first need 4 libraries (PNG, zlib, TrueType fonts, JPEG), then libgd, then GD Perl module, apparently finally GD::Graph Perl module
1. PNG graphics library (www.libpng.org/pub/png/libpng.html)
the current binary for Mac OS X is libpng 1.2.8-, (Question: appears to be two options here, i.e., a Fink mediated approach or something termed a framework for libpng & zlib frameworks??)

Question: can someone recommend how to proceed? (for example, perhaps a download of the GD module from CPAN might take care of the libraries which are supposed to be installed ahead of the GD module?).

Thank you for comments,
Mike Terry