[Omaha.pm] Lightning Talks from UNO on Perl! :)

Bob McCoy bob at mccoy.net
Wed Dec 7 17:43:40 PST 2005

Truth be told ... I thought your presentation was the only coherent one
of the lot (don't even get me started on gaming consoles).  I missed the
first round of talks during the previous week.  Obviously they didn't
set a very high bar for the students.

I was also shocked that, as we are now at the semester's end, that no
one in that group had any OO exposure.

Here's what I liked most about your presentation -- even though it was
ostensibly about operator overloading, the Date example was really
useful at showing the power of Perl modules to solve really thorny
issues.  It was like getting a bonus presentation.

I liked it.  I was engaged, but you probably couldn't tell as I was at
the far back of the room and there was a vast sea of zombie-like faces
between us.

There was one other guy that seemed to get it.  That was the guy who did
the talk on SMS messaging.

Sandy Vlasnik's class was in there because we had some database projects
based on the MovieTickets.com site.  I think that title caught her eye.
So we had a "field trip."  And while the speaker did manage to munge
together information from MovieTickets.com and IMDB, his talk really
didn't give any insights into the efficacy or the vagaries of the
process.

Anyway, good job.  And if I ever get a semester that's not too hairy, I
may return to the Perl Mongers' gatherings.

Bob