[Omaha.pm] pm lister

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Thu Aug 18 07:09:02 PDT 2005

> On Aug 16, 2005, at 5:53 PM, Noel Leistad wrote:
>> This is what I'm seeing, maybe I'm missing something after a
>> frustrating
>> day....
>>
>> #rpm -Uvh postgrey-1.21-0.noarch.rpm
>> error: Failed dependencies:
>>          perl(BerkeleyDB) is needed by postgrey-1.21-0
>
>> cpan> install BerkeleyDB
>> BerkeleyDB is up to date.

I assume you are inferring that you then re-run the "rpm -Uvh..." again
and it complains about missing dependancies?

That's because RPM uses it's own internal database to track what other RPM
packages you have installed.  The "failed dependencies" mean that the RPM
database doesn't have the various pre-packaged Perl RPMs installed.

I can see two routes around this:
1: Use the "force" option to install the 'postgrey' RPM to make it skip
doing the dependancy check.  Not always the best option since a future
update could break the setup if you don't keep your manually installed
CPAN modules updated along with it.

2: Find the various missing dependencies as the RPM files (probably from
the same place you downloaded the postgrey RPM file) and install those.
You can put multiple .RPM files on the same "rpm -Uvh" line so it will
check that all install or all fail.

Dan

- - - -
"Wait for that wisest of all counselors, time." -- Pericles
"I do not fear computer, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac Asimov
GPG fingerprint:6FFD DB94 7B96 0FD8 EADF  2EE0 B2B0 CC47 4FDE 9B68