[Omaha.pm] Re: [olug] perl cpan problem

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Wed Sep 22 19:42:07 CDT 2004

On Sep 22, 2004, at 1:11 PM, <thelarsons3 at cox.net> wrote:
> Maybe there are some Perl gurus lurking...

Omaha Perl Mongers: http://omaha.pm.org

If this is purely a Perl thread, we should probably take it over to
that mailing list instead of OLUG.

> I was trying to install XML and RSS modules from CPAN.  This didn't
> work correctly, but the procedure suggested upgrading CPAN and
> installing the libnet bundle.  OK, fine.  When these didn't work
> either because of an "out of memory" error, I started looking closer
> by running top.

What were you running when you got the error?

perl -MCPAN -e ... ?

Or some package manager? Or installing from source?

> While the process is running, it slowly uses more and more RAM until
> all physical memory (80 MB) on the system is exhausted, then it dies.
> I have 192 MB of swap that is barely touched - about 8 MB in use when
> Perl starts, still the same when it dies.

While what process is running? Can you give us the exact command(s)
you're having problems with?

> Using Perl 5.6.1.  Any ideas or random thoughts?

Random thoughts:
Computers suck. But not as much as telco. "I'd rather be sleeping."