[Omaha.pm] Re: Net::Dev::Tools::Syslog -- local?

Jay Hannah jhannah at omnihotels.com
Mon Sep 20 11:27:44 CDT 2004

-ponder-

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Parsons [mailto:scott.parsons at marconi.com]
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2004 10:14 AM
To: jhannah at omnihotels.com
Subject: Re: Net::Dev::Tools::Syslog -- local?

Jay
(Sorry for late reply, was out of office last week.)

I do not think you are missing anything in your use of
Net::Dev::Tools::Syslog. It does not account for local messages, All it
does is open a socket to listen for messages:
(line 1315)
    # open socket
    $sock = IO::Socket::INET->new(
       LocalPort =>  $listen->{port},
       Proto     =>  $listen->{proto},
    );

My intent when writing this was not for someone to make a syslog daemon but
to use the listen function when testing for syslog messages arriving at a
device. Thus did not account for local messages. Actually my main goal was
to write a syslog parser, in doing that needed a quick/simple
generator/anaylzer, that became send/listen function.

For just syslog functionality you should not need both modules, just
Sys::Syslog, it looks like it tries to handle streams.

Thanks for the feedback, guess I should add to my doc about the intent of
the functions, since its limiting.

Scott Parsons