[Omaha.pm] Re: LWP form posts

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Wed Sep 8 19:57:06 CDT 2004

On Sep 8, 2004, at 12:08 PM, Michael D. Maynard wrote:
>  I've got a Perl question for you.  Don't know if you have much
> experience with form posts through Perl or not, but I thought I would
> give it a shot.  LWP is the standard for doing form posts with Perl.
> However, it expects a response from the other side.  This is where I
> am running into trouble.  I need to pass the data off to the other
> side and let their server take over.  I am posting to an external CGI
> that returns HTML.  I need their server to handle that rather than
> processing it myself.  I can't redirect because I lose the
> relationship to the data i just posted.  Is there anyway to post and
> go without a response?

Hmm... I'm not sure I follow what you're trying to do. Are there 3
computers in your scenario? Can you explain what computers A, B, and C
are each supposed to each be doing? Which of the computers do you
control w/ Perl?

With any http(s) POST action, the client needs to wait for the server
to hang up (w/ or w/o output) to know that the POST actually reached
the server, right?

Have you looked at WWW::Mechanize?