[Omaha.pm] Re: [olug] perl cpan problem

Tim & Alethea Larson thelarsons3 at cox.net
Thu Oct 21 20:26:40 CDT 2004

Jay Hannah wrote:

> On Oct 17, 2004, at 1:35 PM, Tim & Alethea Larson wrote:
>
>> perl -MCPAN -e "install XML::Parser"
>> perl -MCPAN -e "install Bundle::CPAN"
>> perl -MCPAN -e "install Bundle::libnet"
>> perl -MCPAN -e "install Net::FTP"
>> perl -MCPAN -e "install HTTP::Date"
>>
> Are all those commands in a .sh script or something?
>
> Have you tried running each separately?
>
> Is there anything in the startup that says something about "unable to
> write to ~/.cpan/*" or anything like that?

No, I ran them separately from the command line.  No errors about not
being able to write.  Just some stuff about what server it was trying to
contact, then a long silence as I watched the memory usage increase to
max, and finally caput!

> How it should work (I think) is that stuff is downloaded into your
> ~/.cpan/* directory (configurable) and built, installed, etc., one
> package at a time out of that directory. So, as the process unfolds,
> several different things should be running:
>
> 1) perl -MCPAN -e "install XML::Parser"   (or whichever one is running
> at the time. This is the master process that's launching all the other
> stuff)
>
> Then, one of the following will be running:
>
> 2) perl Makefile.PL     (while the package is actually building)
>    or... perl -MTest::Harness x.t   (while the package is being tested)
>    or... gcc xxxxxxxxxx       (while any C components are being bult)
>
> CPAN is a serial process, so multiple things shouldn't be going on at
> the same time. Is there one specific package during which something is
> freaking out? What does the dialogue look like? Is there some infinite
> loop going on?
>
> I'm never had the CPAN module slurp my RAM...
>
> That probably didn't help... Sorry,

I will try again and see if I can watch for more details.  It's kind of
difficult because I don't have email access on the machine I'm working
with, so I have to retype any messages over onto this machine.

Tim

--
Tim & Alethea
www.ChristTrek.org