[Omaha.pm] Re: [olug] perl cpan problem

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Tue Oct 19 21:52:02 CDT 2004

On Oct 17, 2004, at 1:35 PM, Tim & Alethea Larson wrote:
> perl -MCPAN -e "install XML::Parser"
> perl -MCPAN -e "install Bundle::CPAN"
> perl -MCPAN -e "install Bundle::libnet"
> perl -MCPAN -e "install Net::FTP"
> perl -MCPAN -e "install HTTP::Date"
>
>>> While the process is running, it slowly uses more and more RAM until
>>> all physical memory (80 MB) on the system is exhausted, then it
>>> dies.  I have 192 MB of swap that is barely touched - about 8 MB in
>>> use when Perl starts, still the same when it dies.
>>

>> While what process is running? Can you give us the exact command(s)
>> you're having problems with?
>

> The Perl process.  The commands are above.  It's like Perl is just
> sucking all the RAM out of my box.

Are all those commands in a .sh script or something?

Have you tried running each separately?

Is there anything in the startup that says something about "unable to
write to ~/.cpan/*" or anything like that?

How it should work (I think) is that stuff is downloaded into your
~/.cpan/* directory (configurable) and built, installed, etc., one
package at a time out of that directory. So, as the process unfolds,
several different things should be running:

1) perl -MCPAN -e "install XML::Parser"   (or whichever one is running
at the time. This is the master process that's launching all the other
stuff)

Then, one of the following will be running:

2) perl Makefile.PL     (while the package is actually building)
    or... perl -MTest::Harness x.t   (while the package is being tested)
    or... gcc xxxxxxxxxx       (while any C components are being bult)

CPAN is a serial process, so multiple things shouldn't be going on at
the same time. Is there one specific package during which something is
freaking out? What does the dialogue look like? Is there some infinite
loop going on?

I'm never had the CPAN module slurp my RAM...

That probably didn't help... Sorry,